TRENTON, N.J. (PBN) Algernon Ward Jr. is a graduate of Trenton public schools and Trenton State College earning a Bachelor of Science Degree in Biology. He is the NJ Dept. of Health’s first Black Research Scientist in specializing in analytical chemistry. He is a widower with two children and four grandchildren.
A Trenton native and community leader, Ward has lived the struggles facing working-class Trentonians. His leadership was pivotal in defeating the wealthy interests attempting to profit from privatizing Trenton Water Works. In the process, he won a NJ Supreme Court case, preserving all New Jerseyans’ right to Initiative and Referendum.
Other accomplishments Removal of contaminated soil from MLK Middle School construction site (Cost: $150M)
● Won referendum replacing Trenton’s Police Chief with more accountable Police Director
● Co-Chairman, Trenton Community Credit Union’s Board of Incorporators that enables Trentonians’ money to work for them, instead of private banks
● Community leader in Trenton Housing Authority’s CHOICE Neighborhood Program that grants $20k to homeowners for repairs, winner of NJ Smart Growth Award
● President, 6th Regiment US Colored Troops. Helping restore Locust Hill, Trenton’s last segregated cemetery, and build a museum there
Algernon Ward’s entire platform can be found on his website: algernonward.com
Some highlights are:
● Affordable Housing, neighborhood revitalization via Property Swap and blight removal
● Public Safety: Civilian Review Board; crime prevention, not crime reaction
● Improve Public Transportation, plus senior accommodations
● Make Downtown Trenton an Entertainment District; develop historical tourism
● Keep state jobs in Trenton.